Guest blog by Sally Bonkrude, PositiveInnerChange. How would you like to grow your business by positioning yourself as an expert in your field? The best way to do this, is to get your message out to the world. And the best way to get your message out is by public speaking. Today, we have service groups where you can speak, and tons of meet-up and networking groups who want speakers. Public speaking is an important marketing tool for your business and there is no reason not to use it.
To position yourself as an expert by speaking, you not only have to know your stuff, but you have to be able to deliver your message in a way that draws people in and persuades them to take action.
Here are some beginning pointers….
- Enjoy being “you” when speaking! Let go of trying to hide your imperfections. Let go of any need to impress, inspire or to be special. Being you is perfect enough!
- Begin with a smile, soften, breathe and know that you are being of service to your audience through your message.
- Send compassion out to your audience and in to yourself…we all need it.
- Let your passion out and shine.
- Don’t hold too tightly to following your notes or planned presentation, instead trust your intuition and go with that.
- Always, listen to your audience before, during, and after your presentation.
During your presentation, pay attention to your audience’s body language. If they are bored, adjust your presentation. You might try asking questions or go for more interaction. Relax and be open to what needs to happen in the moment.
Sally Bonkrude is a professional speaker and also works with speakers to create and deliver a message that sells. As a psychotherapist, Sally also helps performers to overcome anxiety and step onto the stage with confidence. To connect with her go to: SallyBSpeaks.com/blog and positiveinnerchange.com